Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gimme back my old book store

I like to spend saturday afternoons in my favourite bookstore close to my house. There is a coffee shop attached to the bookstore. A few fancy wooden tables and chairs both on the inside and outside of the shop. Many a day I have enjoyed a tall glass of Vanilla milkshake or a cup of hot chocolate, sitting by the window and watch the world go by. It was a nice feeling to be surrounded by books. And if I felt like I would pick up a book from the shelf and browse through it as I sipped my coffee. I have thought to myself, `Ah, this is wonderful. Whoever came up with this idea should be lauded.' But now I am re-thinking. Is it a good idea afterall -to have a coffeeshop or a children's play area inside a bookstore? Me thinks, it is not. Especially after my experience this afternoon. Little kids turned into abnoxious brats running criss-cross inbetween the book shelves and screaming on top of their voices. There was a lady with a little kid perched on her hip, obviously wanting to buy something that would be of use to her tiny tot and which would turn him/her (i couldn't tell the difference) into Einstein. But she just couldn't decide what to buy. So she called someone, mentor of sorts i guess, and began reading out blurbs and pages and photo credits of the various books, over the phone and in the loudest, irritating voice as possible. "There are lots of pictures. Cats, dogs, elephants...but only few lines by each photograph. It is looking nice. But I don't think it is the right book for the child...." Then for godsake don't buy it. The back-n-forth went on for a long time. The lady was in no way perturbed by the stares and ugly looks that were directed her way by other people in the shop.Then there were a couple of giggly teenage lovers coochi-cooing in the loudest whisper possible....oh my God, give me back my old book stores where you could sit down or stand up and browse through books with no distractions and disturbances. The silence of the environment only added to the pleasure of being a book store. We have lost that eternal ingredient of a book store -silence- in these new age book stores. Awwwww!

No comments: